Online registration has ended. To register, email us here.
Scripture tells us that aspiring to spiritual leadership is to desire a noble task (1 Timothy 3:1). Each year CPC takes that noble task seriously and provides an introduction to leadership in the church.
Though not everyone is called to lead, we do want to encourage that desire to serve God’s people in the life of the church. That is one reason why this “Introduction to Spiritual Leadership Conference” is open to all; these seminars can help channel and discern that call. Spiritual leadership can take many forms and the topics of the conference reflect that. Topics include Intro to Bible Interpretation, Life-on-Life Discipleship, Church-Based Leadership, and more.
The 2019 Introduction to Spiritual Leadership Conference is a multi-congregational event for all S. CT Christ Presbyterian Churches. The conference begins with dinner on Friday night 2/1 (5:30pm-9:00pm) and concludes with lunch on Saturday 2/2 (8:30am-1:00pm).
5:30pm Dinner and Welcome
6:15pm Session 1
7:30pm Session 2
8:30am Coffee and Breakfast Snacks
9:00am Session 3
10:45am Session 4
12:00pm Lunch and Next Steps
Session 1: What Is a Spiritual Leader (Rev. Chip Anderson and Rev. Curran Bishop)
- What Is a Spiritual Leader?
- Spiritual Leadership Under Authority
- Qualifications and Duties
- Expectations of a Leader
- The Team Dynamic and Success
- Team Building
- Time Management
Session 2: Life-on-Life Discipleship (Rev. Andrew Holbrook)
- Notes pages for seminar on Life-on-life discipleship
- "What is Life on life discipleship?" By Preston Graham
- Getting to the Heart: Introduction to Lay Counseling and Discipleship
- Evaluating Your Spiritual Leadership Quotient
- FAITH Acronym
- Getting to the Heart of Idols (Keller)
- Training Language
- The "S" Cycle
- Sanctification from the Balcony
- Biblical Decision Making
- Shepherding the Tempted
- Shepherding the Afflicted
- Shepherding the Accused
- Family Systems Counseling
- Great Questions in Counseling Contexts
Session 3: Introduction to Bible Interpretation (Rev. Preston Graham)
- CPC Biblical Trajectories Class (ppt and audio/video)
- Knowing what you are looking For, Michael Horton
Session 4: Organizational Leadership (Rev. Mike Brunjes)
Next Steps (Rev. Kevin Nelson)
Further Study and Reference: